Friday, August 1, 2008

A Slight Pause

The Old Man is taking a slight pause from the routine accounts of his youth. A word of explanation is in order.

Virtually all of my paternal and maternal family has gone on. As such, there are many unanswered questions I never got around to asking, and now that doorway has closed. It is, at times, an uncomfortable feeling. The little details that went into making my parents the wonderful people they were are so lacking. I do remember some stories, but I'm sure there were hundreds more. There always are.

I have been mulling over a venue for setting down some autobiographical history for the benefit of my children and grandchildren. Nothing seemed to quite "fit" for me until Jules introduced me to the blog. That was an "Ah Ha" moment. I have discovered that the words flow freely and one story reminds me of another. To paraphrase that great detective, O J Simpson, "It does fit so I wont quit".

Through my posts, you will learn about what it was like to grow up in the small Va. town of Bedford. You'll meet some characters and share some adventures during the late 1940's and '50's; a simpler and less complex time. They will be true and I hope, told in such a way as to prove a worthwhile respite from your daily grind.

So my goal is twofold; to leave a more complete picture of my life for my children, and to provide for everyone an entertaining and nostalgic look over their shoulder.

So stay tuned, and many thanks for your comments. You've probably already discovered they are the best motivation for continuing.

4 comments:

Chele said...

Mr. Jack,

I love your stories and am bummed that it's been a few days since the last one. I thought of you and your youthful misdeeds today when I bought a watermelon.

I'm also from Virginia! I grew up in the Richmond/Chesterfield County burbs. I've also lived in the Amelia, Danville, and Louisa areas. We left Virginia in 1998 and travel all over with Rick to each new project.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Jackson

There may be unanswered questions, but as a man who has known you for a few years now,I have to say that if your parents were anything like the man you are you were very lucky indeed to have them. Your children and Grandchildren are very lucky also. And I, as nothing more than a golf buddy, count myself very lucky to know you, and to listen and learn from you.

There are not many people I would consider a friend, But you Sir are at the top of the list.

Your Pal Jay

Anonymous said...

AWw Dad I love that you are doing this - its so fabulous learning these new stories or even hearing them again after its been far to long!

Your pal Jay is so right, and trust me when I say I know Im one of the luckiest daughters I know to have you as my dad!

I love you!
Jules

Anonymous said...

First off, I love you Dad...and I am extremely proud and blessed to call you Dad. I too am very glad you are doing this. Pal Jay....thank you for your kind words and friendship with my Daddy. I am so glad that new folks are coming to know the awesome man we have known and loved all of our lives. And one more note....you have amazing, and I mean amazing, taste in a wife!! :-)

Love you!!