Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Special Thank You

The Old Man needs to spend a serious moment with you. For those who may not be aware, the town of Bedford lost more men per capita than any other community in the country at the D-Day invasion of Normandy in World War II. 21 out of 35 men from Company A from Bedford lost their lives. You will read much more about this in a special post marking the 65th anniversary of the invasion.

Of those who returned, the last of what have become known as "The Bedford Boys" was laid to his final rest today. Elisha "Ray" Nance was the last man standing. He was 94.

I simply, on behalf of my free family, want to say "Thank you, Mr. Nance, and Godspeed to your reunion with Company A."

6 comments:

La La said...

I would like to echo your sentiments. I hope to someday get up there and see the monument. Your comment the other night about the Elks Lodge just brought back so many wonderful memories. It is so important to keep these stories alive for future generations....they seem to be getting lost in all the chaos. Can't wait for the tribute!!

Sherri said...

I look forward to your post, Jack. The thought of their reunion on "the other side" makes me smile. I wonder if there are Elk Lodges in Heaven. :)

Jules said...

I can so see their smiles on the "other side".. so true. Look forward to your post!

Chele said...

Looking forward to the post!

Anne Swingler said...

Wow, it really amazes me how much thought you put into your blog. I think it's amazing how knowledgeable you are about all this important history. I learn a lot by reading your blog and thank you for your posts! I'm sure it'll be a grand reunion for "The Bedford Boys!"

Phil said...

Ray was our mailman out on Route 2 (43 North). Granville, his son, graduated with me in 1966.
Another link to the past is gone...