Tuesday, December 7, 2010

So Long Ago, Yet So Fresh

The Old Man is back. Many distractions over the past several months have caused blogging to take a back seat. Having several friends who were battling (ultimately unsuccessfully) life threatening situations disrupts the desire to write with humor. Moroseness would surely have crept in to my efforts and that's not what I am about. Thank you for your patience and, hopefully, your continued interest.

Irony dictates that my first posting in a while does not present humor, but rather is directed at an event. Sixty-nine years ago today 2400 souls were sacrificed on the altar of war as the Japanese rained destruction down on Pearl Harbor. What began as a peaceful Sunday morning ended in horror and death, and the world was forever changed.

In my adult life, I've known two survivors of that attack. They're both gone now, having joined their fellow heroes where war can never again touch them. Both would be very uncomfortable wearing the hero mantle. They were modest, unassuming men who talked very little about that day. When they did, they tried to make some degree of humorous remark about their actions.....to downplay any importance attributable to them. But they both agreed, the true heroes were still on board the USS Arizona.

I hope you will join me in a moment of silent reflection and whisper a simple "thank you" to those who paid the premium on our freedom insurance. God bless them, and God bless America.

4 comments:

Lauri said...

Nice Post Dad....it is unfortunately becoming more rare that this day is remembered and I thank you for helping to keep it alive. Love you!

Sherri said...

I knew you wouldn't let that date pass without an acknowledgement, Jack. Thanks for remembering for us. I have a woman friend who lived in Pearl Harbor with her Navy Officer husband. He has been dead some time now. She is close to 90. It is still a very vivid memory in her mind.

I have finally been able to get back to painting and blogging today. It has been a very busy 6 weeks that left little time for my favorite things.

Sherri said...

Butch and I visited Pearl Harbor in 2000. The memorial there is beyond anything I have experienced elsewhere. Extremely moving.

Jules said...

I willl never forget the feeling I had standing there at the memorial in Pearl Harbor... surreal... thank you for remembering and helping us all remember..

I am not sure if Mom told you or not, but we talked on this day and Jackson said "tell them Happy Pearl Harbor Day" - he'll always know the date. :)