Friday, October 10, 2008

The Old Man's Hero



The Old Man has a hero. You don't know him yet, but when you finish this posting, I hope you will. Were he still bodily with us, he would be 105 tomorrow, Oct. 11. He was born of sharecropper parents in Pittsylvania County, Va. He grew up in a hard-scrabble way on a small tobacco farm. His parents instilled in him and his siblings (all younger) the values of American virtue and patriotism. I've heard tell that his grandfather was a preacher. I can't vouch for that, but as I began to grow and be aware, I saw evidence that the apple truly didn't fall too far from the tree.

He left home early and began to make his way in the world. A self-taught photographer, he became proficient enough to earn a living. He also learned lithographic printing and began to integrate himself into the world of graphics. Uncle Sam needed him and around 1929 or so, he joined the Army. Attached to an Engineer Battalion, he spent time in Nicaragua assisting in rescue and recovery efforts after a devastating earthquake. On my wall is his citation; The Soldiers Medal for Heroism, given for his efforts and his going 3 days without food or water while digging out survivors.

Fresh from the Army, he met Miss Alma. She ran a little sandwich shop (she called it in the parlance of the day, "Luncheonette"). They married in 1934 and 7 years later, The Old Man appeared. There would be no more. Perhaps I was the original "Termi-Nater". After all, you've already learned about the cherry bomb, the slingshot, and the life of crime in the watermelon patch. As I grew and began to go out for activities with my friends, he would always say, "See you later, Bud." In his own way, he was acknowledging my growth and the different plane our relationship had reached.

Dad could preach a sermon with the best of 'em. In the early '50's a circuit preacher in the county was badly burned in a fire. Dad "rode" his circuit for 2 years, preaching at one of 4 different churches each Sunday. All this in addition to his regular job at a label printing plant, and active participation in our own church. One of my prized possessions is the secretary where Dad kept his books and prepared his sermons. The surface is scratched and marred from his note taking. The scratches remain as a point of contact for me, and sometimes I walk by and just lightly touch them. It brings me peace.

My hero had a marvelous sense of humor. You've read about the "protective hat" and the disastrous attempt at skunk removal. Dad would laugh until tears came into his eyes over some of his mishaps. He was ever the clown, even when his health began to decline. He suffered from stomach ulcers in a day when there was no Zantac, Nexium, or Prilosec. There was only milk, eggs, and cream, all of which conspired to clog his arteries to the point they surrendered and he suffered his third and final heart attack while recovering in the hospital from his second.

We buried Dad on New Year's Day, 1964. He was only 60 years old. He never got to hold his two wonderful granddaughters that he would have been totally captivated by. He never knew that, coincidentally, I spent a career in the printing business. Even after all these years, I still sometimes catch myself with the fleeting thought, "Wait 'til I tell dad".
He taught me to love the Lord, life, and laughter, and they are lessons that I treasure to this day.
Because of his teachings I know I can say with all confidence, "See you later, Bud."






6 comments:

Chele said...

Welcome back Jack!

What a wonderful post! Your father sounds like hero material to me and I do believe your a hero to those two beautiful daughters.

If Termi-nater isn't like Bryan as a child, then your genes skipped a generation. lol

Anonymous said...

Dad....best blog yet. THANK you for sharing my Grandfather with me. I knew some of the things about him, but to read it through your eyes, well, that makes him very, very real to me. I love seeing how the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....I have known you to preach an amazing sermon here and there! :-) Thanks, Dad...one thing for certain, he would be very, very proud of his son and the man he has come to be! I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Oh Dad this is wonderful. I just learned so much about my grandfather in this one blog. I will cherish this one forever.

I guess maybe I knew some of it, but I don't remember it. Thank you for bringing it all back.

Yes, he was your hero. He was, indeed, hero material. How proud he would be of you, his son, and how you have become such a hero to La and myself.

I love this, I love you, and I know he's up there saying "way to go Bud" with a big smile.

Love you!

Bryan said...

Another great post Jack. Makes me want to have a fact finding conversation with my own folks about their lives growing up. It's amazing how much you can remember and how much you forget. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jack said...

Thank you all for the comments. You now have a firmer idea of why I started this blog to begin with. At some point, we all will look over our shoulder and see no one to ask. My loving advice to all of you is....don't wait.

This has been a "sentimental journey" today and we all need those from time to time. I promise more of the fun stuff (and I hope a healthy mix of sentiment) when I return.

Thanks all,
Jack

Sherri said...

Great post, Jack. Really great. Now you need to write about Miss Alma and her "luncheonette" -- a bygone era except in some very rural towns.