Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Original ?

The Old Man spent a few days in Georgia. We had some really quality "bonding time" with The Termi-Nater. He's a joy. As I watched him ramble and roam......zig and zag....flip and flop, there was a strange familiarity. Perhaps there is such a thing as that genetic memory that we read about. It's probably how animals have the instinctive knowledge to fly south in winter, to make their nest in a certain way, and all those other traits that they just seem to know without having to be taught. Our actions are more governed by our genes than I think we realize.



I sensed a connection on a level that's unexplainable to me. Maybe Nater and I share genetic memory that compels him to adopt many of the actions and characteristics that I, and all those before me in our genetic lineage, share. Things like a ready smile, a penchant for exploration, a task oriented stubbornness, the willingness to stand up for himself, and the ability to decide quickly who merits further attention, are all traits that mark my personality. The odd thing is that I have noted these same characteristics in other family members that preceded me.



Not that I can claim credit for his personality; I am but a genetic conduit from the past. On a conscious level, we perform as we have learned, but on a much deeper level, we perform as we are made. At any rate, may I present who just might have been the original Termi-Nater?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post Dad!! Yes, indeed...you and Nater do share some of the exact same traits...and I have noticed them in my children too. Isn't it strange? Julie and I joke about how Emily should be her daughter, not mine, because they are exactly alike! Which means Em is exactly like you too! :-) Very, very good post and absolutely precious child...Jackson and Nater BOTH look like you when you were a kid!
LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

GREAT post Dad - and I totally think both boys have a bit of you in them. Nate with his energic self and Jackson with his deep mind and soul. I just laughed reading this blog thinking maybe Granny had a little bit in Nate's foolishness.. I can almost hear her laugh.

We are all blessed to have a part of you in us all pops.

Chele said...

LMAO - Oh yes, I'm seeing clearly that you were the original Termi-Nater and just as cute.

Genes are a wonderful and sometimes scary thing! In this case it looks to be a wonderful thing for your family members that are being passed along.

I really enjoyed this post!

PS...... Did your mother peel your grapes like Meemaw does Naters? I had never heard of peeling grapes until Jules told us about it. lol

Jack said...

Note to Chele:
No, Miss Alma never peeled any grapes that I know of unless there was a side of hers and Dad's relationship that I never knew about :-). We never saw "store bought" grapes and only had those things that grew in our backyard. They were self-peeling....you bit into them, sucked the inside out and threw the peel away.

But thanks, you've triggered another memory for a blog posting.

Bryan said...

Great post Jack! We tease about Nathan being a Termi-nater but he is what he is...and that is a piece of all of us. We wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for a great weekend.