Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tagged, You Say?

The Old Man has been "tagged". As such, I am to list 10 honest things about myself. This may take a while. Some are easy, however, so let's get started.

1. I've been in love with Miss Martha for 48 years. Our partnership is my supreme accomplishment.

2. I'm an only child. Oh, I know, I know, you probably think I am spoiled rotten. Maybe for a few months early on, but as soon as the novelty of having me around wore off and the world kicked my teeth in a few times, I got over that quickly. Believe me or I'll hold my breath.

3. My mother taught me to read before I ever started school. Other than making sure I had all my shots, it's probably the nicest and most important thing she did for me. The old Ping Pong paddle she kept in her closet and used as needed comes in second.

4. On my first job, I was paid minimum wage....50 cents per hour. The job consisted of sweeping up and doing general labor in a florist shop. The fun part was watching the owner attempt to look sad when someone prominent died.

5. I've seen Elvis, shaken hands with Bob Hope, and shared a swig or two with Sam Cooke. We've dined with Diana Ross & the Supremes when they were just The Supremes. I've had a small rock-n-roll band and made a record. It was horrible, but fun. It gave us the "big head" until we realized all our relatives had a copy and that would probably be the extent of our "hit". We weren't "one hit wonders" we "wondered when we'd have one hit".

6. I like to iron shirts.

7. I love salt water fishing. I do not, however, care two hoots in hell about bloodworms. "Fish Bites" are the greatest invention since fire. I have a theory about fishing; gear is almost as much fun as using it. Sharpening, oiling, repairing, perusing Cabela's catalog, and buying new stuff is the best. Oh, and the cardinal rule.....never fish today, always fish yesterday or tomorrow.

8. I truly like fruitcake....the gooier and stickier the better.

9. The greatest sources of pride in this life are; how Miss Martha has managed to put up with me, and how together we have nurtured our daughters into becoming the finest a person could ever hope for.

10. I know that one day I'll go to heaven, and I can tell you how to if you should happen to need me to.

So, there you are. In no particular order or ranking are the 10 "honest facts" about The Old Man. I can't promise to comply with the "tag 7" part of the request. Most have already been "it". I can promise, though, to keep at this blogging deal for as long as I can manage the memory banks. Best to you all.

5 comments:

Chele said...

Oh Jack, you and Rick would get on like a house on fire. He says getting ready for the fishing trip is as much fun as the fishing itself. He does not and will not use worms when freshwater fishing.

UNCK.....hard swallow about actually liking fruitcake. My Pop loves it too.

If you run out of shirts you are more than welcome to come to Florida and iron Rick's. lmao

Sherri said...

Chele says it all, Jack. Loved your post. Butch'll share his fruitcake if you ever come to visit....

Anonymous said...

I love you, Dad. An amazing post and rest assured to all of those reading, it is all 100% honest! Thank you for taking me to see Elvis, THANK YOU for showing me how to get to heaven and I have been in love with Miss Martha for almost 43 years! :-) You totally rock, Dad. (You too Mom)

Anonymous said...

AWw I love it! I should have so used going to see Elvis as one mine, and how mad mom was that I had to go to the bathroom RIGHT as Elvis was making his GRAND appearance.

Dad, you are awesome and I love you! Lauri and I are SO blessed to have you and mom as our parents, caring for us, and showing us the way.

Jack said...

Here's an 11th honest fact: I'm humbled and touched.

Thanks all.