Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Please Tell Me It Hasn't Been Fifty Years

The Old Man has spent today hearing some songs in my head. 1959 was one of my very favorite years. I was 17, a Junior in High School, had a rock band and a steady girl friend. (For the sake of clarity, Miss Martha had not yet entered my life so I get a free pass on this one.) I could tool around Bedford in the most totally "uncool" car possible.....the family 1953 Dodge.
It was Happy Days personified. We didn't have Arnold's Drive-In, but we did have the Auto-Dine. The "Dine" was unique. It had posts like the drive-in movie with speakers and a menu. You pulled into a space and placed your order. A car-hop in a neat white jacket would bring your order out to the car. I guess you could figure the "Dine" was the Sonic of its day.

We were there.....every day, rain, shine, snow or exams. No date was complete without a trip to the "Dine". My mom said she never had to worry about where to find me; she said she would just call the Auto-Dine and if I wasn't there, I soon would be.

OK....so what's the 50 year deal? Fifty years ago today, in a frozen field in Iowa, we "children of the '50s" lost three of our idols. After a grueling tour, traveling in a school bus and nearly freezing, Buddy Holly had chartered a Beechcraft Bonanza for a trip to the next town. With Buddy were J. P. Richardson ( The Big Bopper), and Richie Valens. The Auto-Dine's jukebox played their hits repeatedly. Richie Valens sang of his lost love "Donna". Buddy Holly raved about "Peggy Sue", and The Big Bopper commiserated about "Chantilly Lace"....Oh baby you knowwww what I like"

When we heard about the crash, we met the news with stunned disbelief. There must be some mistake. Was this the "day the music died" as memorialized by Don McLean's "American Pie"? Not really. Some of the best of the early rock & roll was to follow. And that leads to an interesting connection.

One of the performers on that tour who was scheduled initially to take that plane ride was Dion Demucci. His early hits came when he recorded as Dion and the Belmonts, Bronx based guys who recorded such hits as, "I Wonder Why", "A Teenager In Love", and "Where or When". Dion decided he couldn't afford the $36.00 cost of the flight. Good call. Dion has had a long career and suffered many highs and lows, but he's still performing.
Here's my connection. In the early '60s I had the pleasure of meeting Dion when he was part of a traveling Dick Clark Caravan of Stars show that I was fortunate enough to serve (with others) as emcee. I remember him as being a gracious and humble fellow without any sign of pretension. Sadly, that's lacking in so many "stars". I continue to wish him well.

Another of the performers on that tour was the late country singer, Waylon Jennings. Waylon too, had been originally scheduled for one of the seats on the flight, but gave his seat up to either J.P Richardson or Richie Valens because they had a terrible cold. The connection? One of the members of my little band played for a bit with Waylon Jennings during the '70s.

Far from dying, the music played on. We had Roy Orbison, Elvis, Chuck Berry, and the genius of MoTown and Phil Spector's "wall of sound" with the Righteous Brothers, the Ronettes, and others. But every February 3rd, some songs play in my head and I feel a little chill.

10 comments:

CRYSTAL.SPIRITS HANDCRAFTED JEWELRY said...

Being a Bronx 'kid' for the first 18 years of my life, I remember Dion as well as several other groups and all the outdoor concerts in Central Park....wow a long long time ago (no pun intended).

? if I answer or reply to a comment you or another makes on my own blog, do you see it? Don't laugh, I really don't know so I tend to mosy over to the person's blog and comment.

No kidding about Makoto's??? It is indeed a small world. We've never made a trip down there without going to Makoto's. I love their ginger dressing! Bear's a shrimp dressing kind of guy. Will definitely let you know next time we'll be that way! Would love to see you and Martha Ann.

Jack said...

Lindsay,
I forgot that you were from the Bronx. Here's another piece of trivia for you. The Belmonts got their name from the Belmont Ave. Are you familiar with that location?
The old DJ ways die hard and I still love the music. Go over to www.wrovhistory.com and check the site out. It'll kindle some memories and you just might find someone you know on the "Where Are They Now" page.

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Excellent post Dad, I thought of you when they were talking about this plane crash briefly on the news.

To this day, I love "your" music, and am convinced it was the good stuff.

Great memory.

Chele said...

You had the auto Dine we had Pizza Den. lol!

You had those groups and we had groups White Snake, Alabama, Bruce Springstein, Def Leppard,ect.

Jules had Abba. lmao

Fortunately, none of ours died so tragically.

Anonymous said...

Chele, I blame Dad for ABBA, he started it! lol

Anonymous said...

I thought about you too as they were talking about it on the news. Great post...nice to remember some of the stories! Still the greatest music...love ya!

CRYSTAL.SPIRITS HANDCRAFTED JEWELRY said...

I know where Belmont Avenue is but I actually grew up in Woodlawn, a small 'burb of the Bronx up on E. 236th Street and Webster Avenue across from the Bronx River Parkway (upper Bronx). Used to go to many of the Fordham Prep dances on Friday nights and we'd always take the No. 4 bus down there, stopping at Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor afterwards before catching the bus back home. Did you ever hear of Murray K and the swinging soiree'? BTW I've lost my Bronx accent finally and have three words that just want to stick from those days: 'wawter', 'lawndry' and 'cawfee'.....lol.

Sherri said...

Great post, Jack. You and my husband are close to the same age and are about 4 years ahead of me in the Rock n Roll era. But, I loved Dion, Fabian, Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, The Kingston Trio, and the Lettermen....along with Perry Como and Andy Williams....and Frankie Laine.

Isn't it interesting the memories that a single song can bring to mind with just the first few notes? I know little of today's music because I keep my radio on Q105...music from the 50s thru the 80s. :)

CRYSTAL.SPIRITS HANDCRAFTED JEWELRY said...

LOL Yes I have been saying ya'll for years and was always teased by my family but heck I've been in VA far longer than NY so I consider myself 'Southern by the grace of God' nowadays :-)

Cousin Brucie....ahhhh the memories!