Saturday, June 6, 2009

"The Longest Day"? Unquestionably

The Old Man has a lifetime "To Do List". At the very top is the entry, 'Stand on Omaha beach at Normandy'. While there are many places on this earth that beckon and compete for my attention, only Normandy touches some place deep in my psyche and drives an intense desire to pay some degree of homage to those who died there 65 years ago today. This posting will be a tribute to those "Bedford Boys" whose lives have touched my own.

On June 5, 1944, General Dwight D. Eisenhower turned to his driver Kay Summersby with tears in his eyes and said quietly, "Well, it's on". Earlier he had made the 'go' decision and given the order to begin the invasion of Adolph Hitler's stronghold in France known as The Atlantic Wall . Having just visited the departing troops and given them words of encouragement, he now was feeling the terrible weight of command....of knowing that he was sending some young men to a certain death.

Weather had been a problem for several days but a small window of opportunity had opened and Operation Overlord had to go now or be postponed for 2 weeks. Had it been delayed, the fleet would have to be refueled, and the tides would not be favorable for a landing.

June 6 dawned with the seas in the English Channel still roiling from the departing low pressure driven storms that had plagued the decision-making for days. Waves of 3-4 feet and sometimes up to 6 feet were the norm. Thousands of troops were stuffed into Higgins boats; the landing craft of choice for beach invasions. Men were soaked to the skin quickly, and the violent movement, up, down, and sideways, as well as the constant pounding caused most to puke uncontrollably. Among these dear souls were the men of Company A....now known, thanks to author Alex Kershaw's book, as "The Bedford Boys".

Coming off the end of the Great Depression, young men from Bedford (and of course elsewhere) had joined National Guard units to earn a few extra dollars. Little did they know.........

The withering hell of German gunfire and its effect on the landing is well documented by historians and other authors, so I will not spend time on it here. It's been said that the opening 20 minutes of the movie, "Saving Private Ryan" is as accurate a description of what Omaha Beach was really like as could be shown. Of the 35 men from Bedford, 21 lost their lives. Nineteen of the boys from Company A were killed in the first wave, and two shortly after.

What I want to accomplish is to make some of the boys who gave their lives there seem a little more personal to you; to make their sacrifice perhaps more meaningful. And to do that, I'll share with you my connection to them.

Lucille Hoback Boggess is a dear lady and prominent Bedford citizen. She has served our county and town well for many years. During my early years, her husband, Ralph, ran a newsstand and small sundry store. I bought my model airplanes from him. I got one dollar a week allowance and a Monogram Kit cost ninety-eight cents. Lucille's two brothers, Raymond and Bedford Hoback were both killed. As I grew, there wasn't a lot of talk about that horrible day. I knew this family, but.......little did I know.

Frank Draper, Jr, a gifted athlete and strikingly handsome young man paid the ultimate price for our freedom. I knew his brother, Gamiel. Gamiel was one of the "town police officers". Back then, we knew them by name and they, in turn, knew us. .........little did I know.

One of the young men was Weldon Rosazza. His little sister was my youth choir director.......little did I know.

Earl Parker was one of the older of the Bedford Boys. He was 26. Married to Viola, he had a daughter that he never saw. Her name was 'Danny' and she and I went to school together. A delightful and pretty girl, she was a cheerleader and was one of the most popular and well-liked girls in our school. In one of his letters, he wrote words to the effect .."all I want is to get home to hold my baby girl in my arms." His body was never found. I've been in their home many times........little did I know.

While not one of the Bedford Boys, Bill Peters deserves great mention here. Bill left his young wife, Louise to serve as a medic. Within a couple of months after D-Day, Bill was shot and killed by a German sniper as he walked down the road. Louise moved on with her life and married my uncle, where she remains a much loved member of our family.

In thoughtful moments, other connections flood my soul. The Western Union Telegraph Office that on July 17th became the conduit for those 'With regret' telegrams was located in the rear of Green's Drug Store. I've had countless cherry cokes and banana splits at the very lunch counter where Bedford mourned...........little did I know.

The train station from which the Boys left is now a restaurant. People sit daily and enjoy the food and ambiance, mostly unaware of the scene acted out there all those years ago......little do they know.

Bedford folks are a resilient lot. All of the grief, the heartache bred of loss, and the struggles with hatreds have all but disappeared. Growing up, I heard very little about the sacrifice. It seemed to be accepted as an ugly part of life; life which must go on.........little did I know.

....but now I do.

9 comments:

La La said...

I sit in awe of both these brave young men and your amazing talent to tell their stories. Once again I am struck by how truly important these people are to us all. I had a vague recollection of Aunt Louise being married to a man lost in the war, but never knew the story of how or when. Knowing that she most likely does not have a computer, you should print this off and send it to her. I think she would be truly touched. I am very proud of you Dad..you have a gift, but you also have an amazing heart. I love you and that beautiful woman you are married to!

Sherri said...

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes, Jack. My Dad was in one of those National Guard units called up and pressed into servoce...and he ended up spending 21 years in service to his country. He nearly died in the landing at Anzio and firmly believed a Catholic chaplain brought him back from the dead. I would not be here today were it not for the medics and that chaplain.

That was a selfless generation. I don't believe there were many "What's in it for me" members.

A great tribute, beautifully written. As always.

Jules said...

Wow - I've read this twice. Wow, Dad what an incredible tribute to these brave men, their families, and those left behind. I can't say much more than what Lauri said already, we're both super proud of your heart, your gift for sharing, and opening eyes to those that may be closed... and little did I know...

I love you!

Jack said...

Thanks all. I read an account of the activities at the D-Day Memorial in Bedford yesterday that speaks to Sheri's comment about the "What's in it for me" mentality. As people stopped by one of the invasion veteran's wheelchair to tell him "Thank you for your service," he said "You're welcome", and then with a little grin added, "It wasn't my idea, you know." Humility, honor, love of country, unselfishness...the hallmarks of those very special people. God bless 'em.

Chele said...

Awesome tribute Jack. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Jack,
Some very inspirational stories here. Thank you for sharing them on your blog. If you write a book about Bedford (New York by the way??) I would definitely buy it!

Jack said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for your kind comment. I agree, much in the way of inspiration is to be had in the stories of that generation. I invite you to "toggle" back through my archive of blog postings to a 3-part series on the Battle for Iwo Jima ("The Black Sands of Hell") for even more tribute to those brave "kids".

BTW, the Bedford referred is Bedford, Virginia, my hometown.

Again,
Thanks.

Mickey Johnson said...

Jack,

You really did a great job telling their stories. Like you, I grew up around a lot of these folks and their relatives. Lucille's husband, Ralph Boggess cut our hair when we were young. Ray Nance was our mailman. Roy Stevens was a close family friend. I never knew anything about their involvement with D-Day until Bob Slaughter started the drive to build a National D-Day memorial in Bedford. I wish we knew it sooner.
I hope to read more of your work.

Mickey Johnson

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this. I love the D-Day Memorial and have taken my now 8 yr old daughter there many times, to keep the story alive. Earl Newcomb was one of the Bedford Boys and was my neighbor. I wish I had been as interested in D-Day when I was little - I would love to have heard more of his stories!