Monday, February 8, 2010

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, It's Off To Work I Go

The Old Man believes in work. Work is basic to life. The most elementary form of life on the planet must work to survive. At the risk of crossing over onto the "soap-box platform" I promised to keep out of my musings, I have no use for any able bodied person who simply refuses to work. Social parasites they. My harshness is rooted in the culture of my upbringing. People didn't really think of themselves as having a career....they simply had a job. And a job they took pride in doing well, and a company that rewarded that pride with loyalty and security. Somewhere along the line, sadly, that seems to have changed. ( I'm perilously close to the edge of my "box" here, so let me move on).

I recall my very first job. Around the age of 11, an older lady several houses up the street stopped me on my way home from school one afternoon. Now, to any one of the Park Street Battalion this would be a fearful experience. We were all born with a sort of collective guilty conscience, not knowing exactly what we had done wrong, but assuming we had done something, because we usually had. She was an intimidating lady...looking like Aunt Bea after being out of Premarin for five days, greatly contributing to my unease. Surprise! She asked if I would like to earn some money. "Yesum" was my grateful reply.

Like a lot of Bedford, these folks heated with coal. The coal burning furnace left these great lava-looking rocks called "clinkers". The homeowner would empty these into metal garbage cans and take them to the curb a couple of times a week for pick-up. Sounds like a simple job....easy money. She said I could start tomorrow.

I was excited and rushed home to break the good news of my gainful employment. School dragged by the next day and when the bell rang I literally ran home. I stopped off to get busy. I grabbed hold of the wire handle of the first can and nearly pulled my arm out of its socket. Forget carrying...I tugged, dragged, and puffed that can up what seemed like the 256 mile driveway, all the while thinking, "Crap, I've got another one to go". I managed; not only that day but for the rest of the winter. I learned a couple of 'life lessons' from that job.....
(A) No job will be as easy as you think and
(B) Always inquire about the pay. For my efforts I was paid a nickel per can....the princely sum of twenty cents per week. Of course, Mary Janes and Mint Julips were a penny each, so life was good.

Snow meant opportunity! The going rate for shoveling a sidewalk was fifty cents. Driveways were mostly gravel so they seldom got shoveled. Everyone had tire chains on anyway. When snow flew I put into use another thing I had learned from the "curse of the clinkers":
(C). How badly someone wanted to get out of the house directly affected the price they were willing to pay. The Old Man figured out supply side economics at an early age.

Come spring, lawns needed mowing. I've mowed a ton of them for a dollar. Compared to clinkers, I was in the economic stratosphere. I could move up from Mary Janes and Mint Julips to Sugar Daddies and BB Bats.

I firmly believe the best lessons we get in life are those we are not aware we are learning. Even with the grumbling and struggling, a kid can learn a lot from a clinker.

4 comments:

Jules said...

Love it - and I see your amazing work ethic and drive started at an early age! Wish people could think "it's not just a job, it's an adventure" about their jobs these days.

Love it pops!

CRYSTAL.SPIRITS HANDCRAFTED JEWELRY said...

I also love it....love reading your stories and reliving my own Mary Jane, Mint Julep, BB Bats, Sugar Daddies and Bonomo's Turkish Taffy Days.....all compliments from babysitting almost every weekend way back when......

La La said...

Great one Dad! Dan and I were just talking about how he used to go door to door at a young age asking for odd jobs around the neighborhood and you just don't see that anymore. He said he and his pals would be clammering to shovel sidewalks and driveways and now there is no one....
Now I sound like I am on my soap box! Good post!

Jack said...

Ah yes, Lindsay....I'd forgotten about Bonomo's Turkish Taffy. We'd take it and smash it down on the sidewalk to break it into smaller pieces we could smuggle into school. I think Sugar Daddies and Turkish Taffy were secretly made by a coalition of dentists...both were virtually guaranteed to pull fillings out.