Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Out From Behind The Skirts

The Old Man is in a reflective mood today. Some time back (a gentleman never discusses a lady's age) my life was enhanced exponentially. On this date, Julie barreled into our lives amidst much pacing, groaning, and hoopla. In that day and time, fathers were exiled to a waiting room where the pacing, smoking, and hand-wringing began. It's not that way now. All things considered, I think I prefer the old way. I'm a chicken at heart.

It is so easy to take life events somewhat for granted. In the chaos of everyday life, we are at risk of loosing touch with the special-ness of your child. Babies are born, they cry, they mess, and you love them with all your heart. The cries are music to your ears, the mess a source of fascination, ("Holy stuff....would you look at that? Whew.") and the love flows naturally. It all seems so normal that we come to accept them and not attach enough wonder to them.

As our children grow, we have that precious and rare opportunity to not only guide them as best we, in our stumbling, bumbling way, know how, but to relish the unmitigated joy in seeing them conquer those world that are so new to them.

It was and is that way with you, Julie. I watched you peep out from behind your mom's skirt, one finger in your mouth, your feet sort of pigeon-toed, too timid to take much of a role in the "loud stuff". And then one day it all changed. As I recall it was about Kindergarten time. You not only blossomed, you exploded. From that time on to this moment, you have been a beacon of growth and development that is an inspiration to your Mom and to me. I can't verbalize the depth of my pride in your professionalism, your pro activity, and most of all your ability as a Mom.

You know, Julie, you and I have always had that "Oldies" thing going for us. The old music you adopted as a part of your own. There is a Bobby Goldsboro song, "Watching Scotty Grow". I'll paraphrase a line, ".....me and God, watching Julie grow".

Happy Birthday, honey. You are a link to forever for me. Thank you for ensuring that when I'm gone, I'll still be here.

I love you.

Dad

6 comments:

La La said...

Crying....yes, absolutely beautiful post. And so very, very true! We are all blessed beyond words to have you in our lives, Julie! Happy Birthday, sissy! And Dad, you and Mom are absolutely the BEST!!

Chele said...

Beautiful post Jack.

Jules said...

Wow - ok just wow. Dad, thank you so much for this. I am so lucky to have two such wonderful loving parents that have supported and loved me unconditionally and continue to do so.

I am the luckiest "little" girl on earth! Thank you for your love.

...and thank you for letting me dance your toes....

I love you both!

CRYSTAL.SPIRITS HANDCRAFTED JEWELRY said...

Wow that brought tears to my eyes Jack.
If my dad had lived beyond my 8 years, I could only wish he'd be like you.
Lindsay

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, Jack. About a beautiful daughter -- inside and out. Happy Birthday, Jules.

MTeacher said...

Thank you, that's a music to the ears of a linguist but also of a mother bothered about mess and cries on everyday basis - from the other part of the world.