Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dirt Says "Yes Sir" To Me

The Old Man, some days, feels one day older than dirt. When I tire of the TV people and political candidates screaming at each other, I retreat into a nicer world. A world where being genteel was the rule rather than the exception. A world where courtesy governed a lady or gentleman's life....where insults were rare and when they did occur, were met with honor and dignity.

Part of this retrospective position opens the door to memories of the things of this world I have witnessed. So many events that are relegated to history books are fresh thoughts in my mind. I remember them clearly.

The list could be almost endless;
  • The assassination of President John F. Kennedy. I watched it play out on television, and remember every detail clearly. The pink, blood-spattered dress on Jackie, the oath of office given Lyndon Johnson on board Air Force One, the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald by Jack Ruby, are all imprinted deeply.
  • The day man first set foot on the moon. Bleary pictures beamed back to earth was the stuff of Disney....of Jules Verne, but it was real....man...it was real.
  • President Harry Truman's firing of General Douglas MacArthur, and the subsequent comment in a speech to Congress that MacArthur made, "Old soldiers never die. They just fade away."
  • The Korean "conflict". "Conflict, hell....it was a war.
  • "I Like Ike" buttons. Certainly not popular in the context of recent events in Texas, but in that day, promoted the candidacy of Dwight Eisenhower for President, a pleasant, somewhat soft-spoken man who commanded so brilliantly the invasion of Europe.
  • Little boys made crystal radios to listen to "The Shadow, Gunsmoke, and Inner Sanctum.
  • Trains belched smoke and had whistles.
  • Cars were good for about 50,000 miles and then "burned oil".
  • Ration books during World War II for things like sugar, gasoline, and other commodities we take for granted.

I could keep going, but I think you get the picture. We are all, to some extent, chroniclers of history. What we live today is the history of tomorrow. At any point in time, people somewhere will be reading about the things we have lived.

My advice to the young......seek out those who can provide eye-witness accounts of those event you've read about. Listen to them. Enjoy the fact that they have much to tell that fills in the blanks between the lines of the history books. And take kindly the council of your own years, for you are becoming the living history book of the future.

5 comments:

Sherri said...

I think my husband would have written your list as well, Jack. He remembers some things that aren't as vivid for me because I am a few years younger.

The space program continues to fascinate both of us. I want Chele to do a trivia list on all of the technology we enjoy around the home and workplace today that has come out of the space program.

You know, all these blogs are making memories for our kids.

Anonymous said...

And THIS Dad, is the reason my boys will have a "Book of Blogs" by Paw Paw.

I have so many times thought back to the days when we were kids and were "whiney" about going to Grannys and Dee Dees for our Sunday afternoons instead of hanging out with our friends/boyfriends. Now, now that they are no longer here, I wish I'd taken more of an opportunity to learn about them, their mark on history, their lives.

So THANK YOU for giving my boys (and myself) this opportunity to know you even better, to know your history, and to share in your past.. and the mark your past has on our future.

I love you!

Chele said...

That was well done Jack. Both of my sons would tell you one of the best things about being a Toys For Tots volunteer is that they are the youngest and surrounded by retired Marines of all ages who tell the best stories ever.

Anonymous said...

Dad, another great one. Yes, these blogs will definitely become heirlooms for our families. I agree with Julie...wish we had spent more time getting to know our history. Know this much though...we are truly blessed to come from such an amazing family. Thank you for doing this.

Love ya'

Bryan said...

Jack that was great and what a great idea. I think we forget that we are actually "living" tomorrow's history. I started to think about a few things myself that I would put in my own list. Reagan assasination attempt, Space Shuttle Challenger blown to bits, the (unfortunate) creation of MTV, 9/11, etc. I think it's a great idea to write down these things and what was going on.

Thanks for the reminder.