Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"These Proceedings are Closed"

The Old Man watched a video clip of General Douglas MacArthur's comments today. Those were the words he used when representatives of the Japanese government had completed signing the official surrender that brought World War II to a close. It was 63 years ago today, September 2, 1945. I was four years old, and while I sometimes have to think about why I came into the kitchen, I remember that time clearly.

The more poignant memory of those days was from a couple of weeks earlier, August 14, 1945. That's the day the Japanese said, "That's it, we quit."

There were a couple of huge mimosa trees in our yard in Bedford. They served many valuable purposes. One became the tree where Tarzan lived, and from which Superman flew. The other was the B-17 that I "flew" on glorious missions. But I'm ahead of myself. More about the mimosas in future posts. On this sultry August evening, mimosa #1 was busy fulfilling its prime purpose; shade for the family to sit in these great old wooden Adirondack chairs and catch the wisps of breeze. My dad was smoking his cigar and talking about the events of the day with my mom. I was generally messing about.

There were several factories in our town. At least one had a loud whistle that blew to signal each shift change; 7:00 A.M., 3:00 P.M., and 11:00 P.M. The town kept routines on track by the whistles. Bedford also had a siren that sounded to call all of the volunteer firemen to duty when the need arose. Suddenly, all the whistles erupted and the siren blasted the evening stillness.

My dad said, "Well the war's over." I remember saying to him, "Now will Uncle Doc and Uncle Tom come home?" Tom was my dad's brother, and "Doc" was dad's brother-in-law. Both very special giants to a four year old. My answer was a simple "Yes, son. Thank goodness". I hear it in my mind to this day.

We all loaded into the car and drove over to the courthouse area. In those days there was a traffic circle (Bedford folks called it a "turn-around" as I recall) in front of the courthouse. The street was full of cars honking, people cheering, folks dancing, and all sorts of celebrations. While I didn't know about it then, I'm quite sure some glass containers with aromas that hinted at corn were in attendance as well.

I'm told I fell asleep on my dad's shoulder somewhat later after asking him, "Why was that man kissing momma?" Later Mom and I shared a laugh about that because it seems it was "open season" on celebratory kissing. Sorry I missed that.

Doc and Tom did finally come home, and life resumed. But there were sad stories as well; the Bedford boy who survived the Bataan Death March and suffered from bad health for the rest of his life, the many families who suffered the ultimate loss, and all of those who awoke in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. They didn't have many fancy names for it then, but we all knew. We all knew why this one or that one jumped and shook when a car backfired. We all knew the ones who didn't have much to say and certainly were never asked about their experiences. The Old Man and all the rest of us owe a debt to the "Docs and Toms" of the world without whom we would not have the opportunity to enjoy our lives.

Both of those old mimosas are gone now, as well as Doc and Tom. But I was there.....and I remember.

7 comments:

Sherri said...

Wonderful post, Jack. My Dad was career military, an Army engineer. He was in N. Africa, Italy and France. He NEVER spoke of the war and almost died from shrapnel he took in the neck at the landing at Anzio. They didn't send them back home back then. He was treated in an Army MASH unit and sent back to the front. Mom was whom I got my information from.

I was born almost exactly a year after they married 3 days after he came back from Europe. My Mom's Dad was his C.O. at Ft Bragg, but he didn;t know it when he met her. She was his dentist's receptionist. It was love at first sight for both of them, but he wouldn't marry her until he came back home.

Mama was a southern girl from Raleigh, NC. Dad was from the Chicago area.

It was a different time back then. And sometimes I think the fancy terms you referenced make it easier for people shirk the responsibility of everyday life. Dad was one of those who had to be waked gently and from a distance...many years after that war and the Korean conflict as well. But he never talked about it and he had a very successful civilian life after he left the service as a Lt. Col. in 1961. Unlike a lot of career military, he never referred to his rank after he retired. He was just plain "Mr.".

Gosh, I didn;t expect to write a book. Guess you can tell, you hit a chord. Thanks for triggering the memories.

Chele said...

Awesome Post! It gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Wow Dad. Just wow. I've always known you are a writer at heart and this just proves it. You can take me back to whatever you are writing about and I feel Im there.

Did I even know Uncle Doc and Tom were in the war? I don't know if I did or not... now I do.

I love learning bits and pieces of my very own history through your words.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Can't really express how wonderful this post is. Not only for the fond memories, but for the family history as well. Somehwere in the back of my mind I knew Tom was in the service...I don't recall knowing Doc was. WOW....just brought back wonderful memories of Bedford and family. Thanks, Dad. Love you very much!

Anne & the Boys said...

Is it any wonder why we call them "The Greatest Generation"? My son Ryan is fascinated by all things WWII...mostly airplanes (both Allies and Axis) and probably knows more about it than most adults. His favorite movie is "Battle of Britain" and he can tell you all sorts of things about Pearl Harbor and the battle in the Pacific. There's a little encyclopedia up there in his brain and he chooses to fill it with important and relevant facts...I hope this carries through to his pre-teen, teenage and finally adult years!

Keep writing Jack...I love it!

Anne & the Boys said...

I want to visit Bedford :) I hope it hasn't been polluted with chain restaurants and stores like Applebee's and Walmart! That would be such a shame cause I'm sure many mimosa trees came down.

Phil said...

Sadly, Bedford has been 'polluted'...
The Woolen Mill had that great whistle, that sort of 'wound up' before it hit its note. Funny thing, when I was back in Bedford a couple of weeks ago, a train horn made me think about that whistle. I wonder where it is...