Thursday, December 18, 2008

Babes In Toyland

The Old Man still loves his toys. Thinking about them reminded me that I used some of my current ones this past Monday. It was golf day. It occurs to me that I have not released an update on the types of shots I encountered in some time. I had several Oprahs (fat) and more than a few Santa Clauses (got much better than I deserved). I also had a rarity for me, a couple of Lindsay Lohans (too thin and way out of control). "Playing" opened up a chain of thought for me, though, that encourages me to give you a rundown on various toys I got for Christmas through the years.

I got a Mickey Mouse watch one year. It was neat, especially when I took it apart to see how it worked. The last time I saw it, all of the parts were in a box of stuff in an old chest. That was probably 55 or so years ago. Wish I had that box.

How about the ViewMaster? You'd insert these disks with little color slides embedded in them into the machine and when you looked through the binocular-like instrument, there was the Cisco Kid and Pancho in 3-D. I had one with Hopalong Cassidy as well. I think his horse was named Topper. For some reason, Santa had included a disk with scenes from Tampico, Mexico. I remember wondering the childish equivalent of the adult, "Where the hell is that?"

Ahhhhh, my Erector Set. Developed by A. C. Gilbert, I believe, this was a fiendish mix of metal strips with holes along their entire length. You also had packs of small bolts and nuts. The concept was great, but in reality, I kept losing the nuts and bolts, the metal strips were kind of flimsy, and the electric motor blasted out so much ozone that dogs would howl and moan. I did manage to make what passed for a Ferris Wheel complete with the metal seats that came in the kit. Unfortunately, my engineering skill gene skipped a generation or two and the seats would never pivot as the wheel turned. They remained locked in position. Must have killed a bunch of imaginary carnival goers. Believe it or not, I still have the remains of that Erector Set. It's in a blue metal box that still latches about as poorly as it did then. Wouldn't take a million bucks for it, though. Well maybe a million.

One year brought the Lionel Electric Train. I recall Santa had it mounted on a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. It ran in a big oval. You would put these little pills called "Smoke Pellets" in the engine and acrid, smelly white smoke would pour out for a few turns around the track. The smoke generators on these old Lionels generally lasted about a month and then never worked again. With my permission, my mom sold that train when I went off to college . What an idiot I was.

Of course there were the normal tricycles, wagons, and later bicycles, but the big daddy was when I got my first car. Notice the pride of ownership and sheer joy at my new-found independence.

Interestingly enough, this racy looking number was made in the U.S.A. Both the boy and the car.

In the spirit of reflection, spend a bit of time in the land over your shoulder. The innocence of a childhood Christmas will bring peace and quiet the bustle. Tell you what.....I'm going out to the garage and look at that Erector Set. I'll see you later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am coming to raid your house for pictures pops! Great blog and I actually remember the Viewmaster - I had several of those. I remember one granddaddy of a viewmaster that displayed the images on the wall and Lauri and I would sit in our old bathroom in the dark with that thing.

I love thinking back to Christmas past and past presents.

I'll share one with you here, but I feel a blog coming on.... Madame Alexander babydoll. Baby Ann. I'll never ever forget carrying her around the store. Santa did good every year at our house.

I do so love that picture and Nathan would LOVE that car now!

Sherri said...

Another wonderful post, Jack. I had a little red pedal car like that and remember being so disappointed when I grew too big to play with it anymore. I loved the Viewmaster and did you know a commercial version was used for sales pitches in the 50s? I remember seeing one for Camels Cigarettes.

Chele has a picture somewhere of a ferris wheel that Rick and the boys built...amazing. Was it Legos? I know it was a working model.

I bought my mother a train set to go under her tree when she was in her 60s. She loved it.

Think I'll sit back and admire our tree and think about some of those great things Santa brought.

Chele said...

I loved this post! My too very favorite gifts were my Baby Alive Doll and Lite Brite and Spirograph. lol! I had a "talking" view master. My sons had them but they didn't talk. They also weren't as thrilled with the lite brite as I. My kids have had Duplo, Leggos, Mega Blocks, Erector Sets, and KNEX sets. They are fortunate to have a dad in construction. lol

They built a working motorized car with the erector set. Mom, they built the ball tower, ferris wheel, and screaming roller coaster with the KNEX. I just sold them to another homeschooling family last year because they had out grown them.

Anonymous said...

OK, OK....I'm in...my favorite was the Barbie Penthouse. MAN! I LOVED that thing. Years later, I discovered that it was NOT a piece of cake to put together, but SO WORTH IT! Fabulous present!
I am with Jules, WE WANT COPIES OF THESE PICTURES! Dad, these are pure treasures, never seen before. But I DO indeed remember the Erector set in the blue box! Again, thanks for the memories. Priceless. Love ya!