Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Rocking Around The Christmas Tree

The Old Man has a long history with Christmas trees. There has been one in my life since I was 2 months old. We've had our tree up and decorated since Thanksgiving weekend. The train is clickety-clacking it's way around under there and tooting it's whistle as it passes through the symbolic town of Bedford. Miss Martha has again outdone herself with the exact, almost clinically scientific placement of the ornaments. I'm pretty much relegated (out of choice) to dragging the tree in and getting it set up as the pallet for her artistry. My role at that point, becomes to serve in an advisory capacity. It's a good arrangement that has stood the 45 year test of time. In the "dark age" years before pre-lits, my responsibility extended to putting the lights on the tree. I can personally attest to falling victim to every malfunction electrically possible on Christmas lights. These temporary setbacks resulted in some very colorful linguistics that I can still call on when the situation merits.

Most nights, I wander in the living room and just sit and admire. I'll run the train for a bit and just let my mind open up the vault and allow some new memories to escape. While each Christmas we share is special, I firmly believe that the reflection on those past brings the deepest comfort and peace. During my reverie and with the discovery of the forgotten box of pictures, I began to remember clear details about the Christmas trees of my childhood.
Virtually every tree in those days was a cedar tree. They were prolific in the fields around our town. Fact of the matter is....they were one notch above weeds in the agricultural food chain. The grocery stores would buy a few from the farmers who were happy to get about 50 cents each. We would then buy our tree for $1.00. Dad would nail cross braces across the stump of the trunk and then set the whole business down in a bucket, weighting the genuine, hand built tree stand with several rocks. When filled with water, the deal proved pretty stable.
Strung with the lights of the day, it's a wonder of wonders that we did not go up in a swirl of flame and smoke. When you factor in the heat from those bulbs, you can't put enough water in a bucket to retard drying of a cedar tree. Mom would put a few ornaments and some tinsel on the tree. The exciting part to me was always the adorning with the silver "icicles". That's when the tree became magic. I recall Mom's excitement when she finally bought some plastic icicles that would glow in the dark. I still have 3 of those. They've been on every tree in our house since we got them from Mom when she decided to get out of the Christmas decorating business. A lot of her decision was probably driven by the fact that you could no longer buy a cedar tree for $1.00.

So, I encourage you to find time during the busyness of the season to simply gaze on your own Christmas tree....and pay tribute to Christmas Past. You'll find comfort and warmth there.

7 comments:

Sherri said...

Ummm, Jack....

Now you're going to force me to go find our pictures of our BEAUTIFUL cedar trees that we paid good money for! LOL

I fully understand Martha's obsession. When we did tinsel, each piece had to be carefully draped over the tree branch. Used to drive the kids nuts. LOL

Anonymous said...

Ok I have to say I love LOVE that picture! Fantastic!

As you know the train is special to both of your girls AND my boys! Nate is still talking about paw paws TANE. Its Christmas.

And you're SO right about mom and her decorating, and the tinsel. Man, she would spend HOURS placing those things on each piece at a time, and when Lauri and I tried to "help her" we'd just stand back and throw it and let it rest where it did. I am sure she would go in at night after we went to bed and "fix" them.

To this day I hang my tinsel all crazy like that, and it never looks as fabulous as ya'lls tree. I guess I need moms patience. lol

Fabulous post Dad. I am going to go sit in our sun room now, and look at our tree. Maybe if I close my eyes and relax I will hear the train and smell the smoke.

I love ya!

Chele said...

Great Post Jack! We had a cedar tree every year my entire childhood. Last year was the first year we had an artifical tree. We found a 7 footer with pre-lit with multi-colored lights and I have to say I so love it! No needles, no scratches, we put it up around Thanksgiving and it's not dead by Christmas, no Charlie Brown trees....

OMG! I refuse to have tinsel on my tree because I was scarred by mother and grandmother when growing up. They both were so damn particular and they both did drive us bonkers. Jules and I had the same technique for putting tinsel on a Christmas.

Jules posted pics of Nathan and Bryan watching the train under your tree and I thought how cool is that! I want one when it's just me and Rick and no puppies or kittens.

I sit and enjoy our tree in peace with a nice glass of wine or a mug of herbal tea every day.

Anonymous said...

Dad, this picture is amazing! I have never seen that before! LOVE IT! I agree with Jules....I know Mom probably "straightened" our tinsel throwing! :-) But it paid off, we always had a gorgeous tree! Jules talks about the train and her boys....I remember one specific little boy who was always mesmerized by that train! He is now almost 21 years old, but believe me, he remembers the train at Mee-Maw and Paw-Paws! Cherished, cherished memories. Oh, and as much as I LOVE the tinsel on the trees, don't really do that anymore 'cause my vacuum cleaner DOES NOT love them! :-)But if I did, they would definitely be all clumped up where I threw them! Love you all so much!

Sherri said...

Scarred, huh?

Michele, no puppies or kittens, maybe. But you will always have a Golden by your side. Always.

Bryan said...

Jack, that tree looks like something from Charlie Brown's Christmas! Once again, you have offered another little known fact about Christmas trees. I had no idea that they were cedar. I used to think all trees were plastic! I remember a few of my own trees, complete with my mom's favorite bubble lights. Our tree is a smorgasbord of ornaments complete with a story for each. Thanks for the reminder.

Chele said...

ROFLMAO! BUBBLE LIGHTS!!! I remember those on my grandmother's tree.

Yes, mom you guys scarred me with the your tinsel perfecting ways. lmao