Sunday, December 7, 2008

Infamy

The Old Man is taking a little break from humor today. See in your mind's eye a bright morning 67 years ago today. See people going about their Sunday morning activities as usual. See children getting dressed for church, some folks sleeping in, some recovering from last night's hilarity, and others just enjoying the beautiful south Pacific sunshine. Now see an angry black cloud approaching and hear the even angrier drone of engines. In the midst of this quiet Lord's day, watch in your mind as the skies erupt and hell itself rains on Pearl Harbor. Before the Japanese attack ends, over 2,000 will die and many more will suffer horribly.

In Bedford, I'm guessing that my parents were enjoying the fact that on that day, I was "celebrating" my one month birthday. Based on what they later told me, they could never forget that day. They could remember even the slightest detail. 60 years later on September 11, 2001, I truly understood what they meant. From the time of my cognizance, I've had an interest in all matters from the World War II years. First hand experience as a child, coupled with an adult interest in history has led me to spend much time in research and discovery. I've stood on the USS Arizona Memorial and watched the slow bubble of oil from her tanks drift to the surface. I've proudly and unashamedly let tears fall when I thought of those entombed with their shipmates. But more than this, I've had the distinct honor of knowing two men who were there, both of whom have now achieved final victory.

Mr. Lloyd Gordon was an Army private. I've listened as he told of taking cover in a drainage ditch as chunks of metal, concrete, and who knows what else slammed into the ground around him. He made it a point to always wear a tie on Pearl Harbor Day. He said it was out of respect for those he left behind. A kind and generous friend to all, he was so very typical of what has been called The Greatest Generation.

Mr. Henry Pitts served in the Navy. In the attack, his ship was the first to be able to return fire on the invading aircraft. Henry made a career of the Navy and then went on after retirement to have a full career at the Post Office. Henry at the ripe old age of 89 could still shoot a par round of golf. Henry asked me once, "When can you and I play a round of golf? I need someone I can beat." I simply said, "I'm your man."

In his request to Congress for a declaration of war, President Franklin D Roosevelt referred to the "day that will live in infamy", and it did. But in our remembering, I believe it behooves us to focus less on the attackers, and more on those who kept us free. So to all of those who served, both then and since then, I salute you and I thank you.

God Bless America



5 comments:

Sherri said...

Jack, I meant to look for my CD from our trip in 2003 when we actually stayed on Oahu a couple of days before we flew to Kauai for the rest of our vacation. We aren't fond of that island but wanted to tour Pearl Harbor.

I took some pictures while we were there of the big mural of the Arizona as well as other areas of the Visitor Center. The Memorial was being repaired or refurbished or something so we were disappointed not to be able to go out there. But we shed plenty of tears right there in the gardens.

Thanks for writing about this. I have a friend who was a 13 yr old girl who lived there. She has very vivid memories of that morning and the following days of mourning.

Anonymous said...

WHat a wonderful tribute dad. I will never forget the surreal feeling of standing at that Memorial in Oahu, looking at the oil slicks and thinking of those men. Surreal.

Beautifully written.

Chele said...

Wonderful post and tribute Jack.

Anonymous said...

Great post Dad. It is wonderful for these things to be written for future generations. I fear some of our History is not given center stage as it should be in schools these days. Thanks for sharing and reminding! Love ya'!

Bryan said...

Jack this is great post. Thanks for putting it down on "paper" for us. We have all seen movies about that day and perhaps documentaries about it as well. While it gives us a sense of what went on and how it happened, we can never feel the true sense of living through pure hell. So I echo your thoughts of thanks to the greatest generation in our history.