Friday, April 6, 2012

Gotta Tell Ya

The Old Man is officially back.  For the past three months, I've been pretty involved in a project.  Miss Martha had a total knee replacement and I have been her chief cook and bottle-washer for a goodly portion of that time.  I'm happy to report that she is making excellent progress and her recovery is right "on track".  She'll soon be able to outrun me once again.

She hasn't died from my cooking, and I haven't burned the house down, or rearranged the spice cabinet.  During this time of "self-discovery" for us both, I've made a number of observations.  Mind you, these aren't judgments....but rather a random list of things I had never really thought about.
  • It takes a talent approaching rocket science to get the bacon, eggs, hash-browns, and toast all ready at the same instant.
  • A little mayonnaise goes a long way.
  • Instructions on a frozen biscuit bag: "Place on an ungreased cookie sheet 1/4 inch apart.  Biscuits rise better if they are touching".
  • Those people on the Cooking Network are full of crap.  It's never that easy, or quick.
  • Some days it's "Buy one-Get one Day" on idiots at WalMart.
  • What the heck??? I just dusted yesterday.
  • People who race through a store with a shopping cart fire me up like a gorilla on caffeine overload.
  • Babies-R-Us doesn't sell much a guy would be interested in.
  • Is there any really right way to load a dishwasher?
And one final observation:
  • Martha Jackson is the bravest and strongest woman I've ever known.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

LOVE IT!!! So proud of BOTH of you! Great job on taking care of Momma....and she has totally kicked butt at this knee replacement thing! Love ya'll!

Jules said...

Ok finally getting to read this and I love it! I love that you have done such an awesome job caring for mom! You had a good teacher! She is indeed a strong, incredible woman! LOVE YOU BOTH!!!!!

Sherri said...

Great post, Jack. Isn't it interesting what you learn about each other when circumstances cause role reversals? I told a friend at lunch today that I have always loved and admired my husband and felt me have a really good marriage, but my recent health issues have caused us both to appreciate each other even more.

So glad your Martha is doing so well.

Chele said...

lol! Glad you are both doing well. So much of this is true, but I want to know what constitutes racing a grocery cart because I am a woman on a mission when I grocery shop and have a cart caddy. lol

Jack said...

:-) to"none of your business"...thanks for the comment. To clarify, in the grocery store I've been nearly t-boned by shoppers racing out of aisles, had my toe run over, and listened to more "huffing and puffing" and foot tapping by those waiting for me to scramble back up after digging around on the bottom shelf for some item. But hey, live and let live. I'll wave at you with a smile when you go past. :-)