Friday, March 13, 2009

It's A Wonder

The Old Man is lucky to be here. It's a wonder I survived my youth. BB guns, sling shots, dirt clods, and arrows shot high into the air just to see where they would fall, could all entertain the Park Street Battalion for hours on end. Sometimes we would attempt the organized civility of sports, or the cerebral exercise of marathon Monopoly tournaments, but more often than not, we were engaged in some form of risky behavior.



Helmets were items worn by soldiers and football players.....never by a kid on a bike. Not only did we eschew helmets, we rode with no shoes and no shirts. While rocketing down Baltimore Avenue hill, we would let go of the handlebars and ride, steering "au naturale" by leaning a bit left or right.
We crawled through drainage pipes and culverts, climbed to 30-40 feet in trees on limbs that were never meant to support a squirrel, much less a kid, and roamed around town after dark with no thought of fear. We camped out in fields and in the woods.
Mom carved up chicken on the sideboard beside the sink, gave it a quick wipe and cut up the potatoes for salad. Meals were left on the table, covered with a cloth, after Sunday lunch and seldom re-heated for supper. We were never ill from any of this....perhaps we were lucky or I like to think that maybe it's been the passage of time that has created an evolution of bad stuff and disagreeable substances. Restaurant workers didn't wear hair nets or plastic gloves and the butchers used the same butcher block cutting surface for all their meat prep. There was sawdust on the floor of the butcher area to absorb spilled blood and prevent butcher "accidents".
We ate rabbit if Dad had a good day in the field, and during the summer we ate enough perch and bluegills from farm ponds and the County Park lake it seemed we would begin to grow scales.
If a huge flock of starlings became a bother when they decided to "park" themselves in one of our trees, Dad would simply take his shotgun and fire off a blast up into the tree. It wasn't illegal then. The starlings would scatter and peace and tranquility would return to Park St. I heard a quote on television recently that summed up most of the time on our street. "It was so quiet, you could hear a mouse peeing on cotton in China".
I recapture a little bit of that experience with my genuine Daisy Red Ryder BB gun these days when the squirrels launch an assault on my bird feeders.
I suppose a simpler time called for simpler solutions, but that delicious quiet visits me from time to time. It's rare, but when it comes, it's a treasure.
Oh, by the way......The Old Man is the second from the right.

7 comments:

Chele said...

Rick and I had this discussion last night at dinner. We did many of these same things and more and survived. Our parents did many things differently when they were growingup and having children and we all are here today having children of our own. Today society seems to instill fear and does everything it can to keep instilling more. This is a topic we could discuss for hours!

Great post Jack! Glad to see you're back!

Sherri said...

Very good post, Jack. We live on one of those very quiet streets and the only time we hear noises are when someone is mowing a lawn or running a saw in his garage. I am not as tolerant of noise now as I was when I was young.

Butch and I think often of when we were kids and the world was a different place. I can remember playing badminton by the lights of the Wee Tee Miniature Golf Course and Driving Range up on West Braod Street. Those lights were so tall, they shone over the woods and fields between the course and our backyard. We had no problem seeing the birdie as it flew back and forth over the net.

Our summer Monopoly games went on for days on end. Thise were always played at our house where my mom didn't insist that everything be picked up everyday, like some of the other moms.

Or Kick the Can after the sun went down...always from our front porch.

There seemed like a lot less evil in the world...

Anonymous said...

I picked you out right away pops! Great blog. I often think about how Ken and I used to make up our own ideas and things to play outside. When kids went outside to play after breakfast and didn't come home until they were called home for dinner. Back when you could LET your kid ride their bikes all day without worrying someone would pick them up. I always think about that when I let Jackson ride around our short block and I wait for him..

Great blog dad!

Anonymous said...

Great post!! Ah yes, the gentler, kinder time. Gosh, I remember playing hide and seek in the neighborhood until after dark! That just wouldn't happen today....sad, isn't it? Love the picture...I picked you out too!

Phil said...

Love the Studebaker!
This was taken east of your front porch with Park St. behind you, right??

Jack said...

Phil,
You are correct, sir. Were you able to name all of the "players"?

Phil said...

No. I even contacted the State prison system, and you were the only one they recognized...
I'm sure Kenny is in there somewhere.